General Discussion >> General

Pages: 1
ladyHawkau
Freak

Reged: Jun 11 2007
Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Sim Card
      #333886 - Wed Apr 25 2012 09:48 AM

I have a sim card from our last trip 8/4>19/4 anyone is welcome to use it but would like it back before November as daughter is going over then. There is credit still on it. Just email me your address and I will post it to you. I am in Perth WA.

Sue

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ChrisandCol

Reged: May 08 2011
Re: Sim Card [Re: ladyHawkau]
      #333915 - Fri Apr 27 2012 09:32 AM

Is the sim card still available? I did email (I think correctly).

Regards,
Chris

ladyHawkau
Freak

Reged: Jun 11 2007
Loc: Perth, Western Australia
Re: Sim Card [Re: ChrisandCol]
      #333921 - Fri Apr 27 2012 10:06 PM

Sorry it has gone. But it is coming back to me. I don't need it until the end of November when would you need.

Sue

troyboy
Crazy Poster

Reged: Jan 19 2004
Loc: BRISBANE
      #333926 - Sat Apr 28 2012 03:03 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been to Bali a few times (well not as many as most of you) but have never taken our mobile phones before as not really needed them. As our boys are a little older now 17 and 15 they will be out and about during the day a little more than on previous trips.

We are looking at taking 3 phones for mainly texting(sms) so the first question is

Do you need to have your phone on roam to text and what is the approx cost to send a text when in Bali (Optus)

Would it be a good idea to have all 3 phones on a local sim?

Lastly if a local Bali sim card is the best idea what is the best brand keeping in mind we will not be using it to call back to Aust only calling between the 3 phones we have in Bali?

Thanks in Advance
Troy

ChrisandCol

#333927 - Sat Apr 28 2012 04:50 AM

Hi Sue,

We are going over on June 1 and return Sept 28.

Regards,

Chris

ChrisandCol

Re: Sim Card [Re: troyboy]
      #333928 - Sat Apr 28 2012 05:14 AM

Hi Troy,

Forget roaming - with 3 teenages it would probably double the cost of your holiday. You not only pay for the calls/text messages you send but also receive - all at prime international rates.

The best bet is to take 3 unlocked phones (even old ones that you have updated) over with you and purchase 3 sim cards (about $2 - $3 each plus say $5 worth of credit) then top them up if required. I don't think you could walk for longer than a minute without being able to buy a simcard or topup existing ones so that will not be an issue although I would reccommend that you don't buy one at the airport as they will cost heaps more than locally. Get the dealer to set it up for you as they can understand and answer the confirmation sms.

Text messages only cost a few cents each (I think from memory about 5) and phone calls, if needed are alot cheaper than our international calls. I used Simpati last year and by using the special code of 01017 61 ....... (drop the 0 from area code or mobile) at the beginning we were able make a quick call home for $2. Of course they can be used locally as well.

Hope this helps.

Chris

troyboy
Crazy Poster

Reged: Jan 19 2004
Loc: BRISBANE
Re: Sim Card [Re: ChrisandCol]
      #333929 - Sat Apr 28 2012 06:00 AM

Chris

Thankyou very much and yes this does help me out no end.

Cheers'
Troy

Dazza201
Crazy Poster

Reged: May 09 2007
Loc: Bali
Re: Sim Card [Re: troyboy]
      #333965 - Wed May 02 2012 12:39 AM

Definitely dont let them use roaming, especially if they have iPhones. With roaming all the apps continually update and will cost a fortune!!! Local SIMs are cheap and easy.

Caz52
Crazy Poster

Reged: May 28 2010
Loc: Whyalla Sth. Aust
Re: Sim Card [Re: Dazza201]
      #333966 - Wed May 02 2012 01:19 AM

The phones you take over to Bali MUST be unclocked. If you have a Harvey Norman store close by you can get very cheap unclocked phones for as little as $29,I bought an Alcatel one a couple of weeks ago (to use here in Oz)and put a Lebara sim card in-cheap way of keeping in touch with Bali friends.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Moderator, Made2 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1960

Rate this topic

Jump to

Bali Forum and News | Board Rules Bali Forum and News

| Bali Travel Guide | Bali Villas Accommodation | Bali Video Clips | Bali Chat Room | Bali Forum & News |
| Bali Maps | Bali Restaurant Guide | Bali Hotels | Gateway To Bali | Diving | Bali Island |
| Bali Beaches | Bali Events | Bali Shopping | Bali Shops | Bali Nightlife | Bali Restaurants |
| Bali Family Holidays | Bali Places | Bali Boutique Hotels | Bali Cruises | Rafting Bali | Wedding in Bali |
| Bali Arts Festival | Adventure in Bali | Bali Architecture | Health and Spa | Product Exports |

Other useful links
| Bali Wedding Guide | Bali Hotels Association | South Kuta Bali Business Association |

All images and text on this site are the property of MMC Marketing Group and
its affiliates and are protected under International
copyright laws. Copyright 1996-2013 All rights reserved